Thursday, June 30, 2011

Having the Courage to Start My Etsy Shop

My first Monkey Hat on Leo 

I haven't been blogging much as I have been busy trying to research starting my own Etsy Shop.  
There is so much to learn about opening up a shop and making it a success. Since I still work full time as a cardiac  nurse this keeps me up late at night.  I have my theme, and name for the shop. Will divulge the name next blog post.   I have selected a handful of starter pieces and am pretty sure of the direction I will head in.  Aiming for knit wear for children and babies. Simple items.  Sweet gift ideas and photo props. Vintage items. 


Photo props bringing me to my biggest hurdle. I don't have a good camera .  Even worse than not having a good camera is the fact that I have a tremor in my hands that makes it really difficult to hold my cell phone still enough to snap a photo.  Solving this by begging friends to take some pictures for me. Also will be sending knitwear to my great nieces and nephews so they can model and keep them and for their very talented mother's to photograph.  A nice swap. Hope they all go along wit this idea and I have time to get the knitting done.  


Of course I have my lovely Mya for a model but she is a whirlwind as seen here playing dress up in my clothes.


Mya in full motion
When I was in my early twenties and my mother was the age that I am know she opened up a mail order business named The Pewter Button . She and I hand made authentic Revolutionary War Era clothing for the Bicentennial celebrations in 1976.  They sold from a tiny ad in the back of Yankee Magazine and amazingly were bought in almost all states and several foreign country's.  It was very hard work and her designs were impeccable and her patterns all made by her hand. Before the internet era all business was conducted by mail.


She made enough money to take herself and my father on a wonderful trip to England and Scotland.  I remember her paying me as well and I saved that money toward the eventual adoption of my first son from El Salvador in Nov. of 1976.   
   
Lesson learned from Mom. Keep at the task at hand. Research it. Learn your craft.  Perfect your skills.
Thanks Mom. 
from Lambie
  More to come on the adventures of opening  my Etsy shop as it progresses. 
~~~~2 Timothy 1:7 ~~~~~
For the Spirit God gave us does not make us timid, but gives us power, love and self-discipline

2 comments:

Sarah said...

I can't wait to see what you do with your shop! You inspire me to be more, try more, fear less, and trust more:-) You have an entire family of fans...and free advertising!

Sojourner said...

I am loving that you are starting your own business I love your mama's advice too. Thanks Anne for being my friend! I will keep track of you! FM