Sunday, September 28, 2014

Vintage Harvest Kitchen

If you lived with me you would know it was fall when you heard me banging around in the kitchen.
The new apples are in and the cool mornings and early evenings just beg for a pot roast or casserole.


 It's time to search for cherished heirloom recipes in Grandmother's recipe box.
Oak Recipe Box and Hand written recipes from WeeLambieVintage
 I have always loved this time of year. Every year I make the turkey and stuffing the way my Mother taught me.  It is one way I pass traditions on to my children.
Ironstone Turkey Platter from Untried
This vintage Ironstone Turkey Platter is large, strong and gorgeous.  Surely it would become a treasured possession and one the children would love to see carried to your table.

~My recipe for stuffing is made with 2 loaves of day old bakery bread cubed, 1 stick (or more) of melted butter, one medium chopped onion, 6 ribs celery with leaves chopped. Lots of fresh chopped sage and a heaping tablespoon of dried Bell's Poultry Seasonings.  Saute the vegetables in butter. Mix butter and veggies into cubed bread with the seasonings *. Ad kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste. Add hot milk 2 Cups more or less, enough to make the whole batch of stuffing stick together slightly.  Lightly stuff the cavity of your seasoned bird.  Extra stuffing goes in a buttered casserole dish and bakes til crispy on the top. * Chopped roast chestnuts, golden raisins, diced tart apples are sometimes added ~

Set a pretty table. Let the children hunt for fall leaves to fill an heirloom basket. Make something simple extraordinary with a Native American Indian Basket.  
Native American Winnowing Basket from lakesidecottage


Use some special handmade touches. 
Autumn Leaves Mug Mats by QuiltShenanigans
 Whatever your traditions are for the seasons ahead make them playful and fun. Mix and match. Relax and enjoy.
Fall Leaf Photograph from NewEnglandReflections
WeeLambie/Anne

4 comments:

Pat said...

Well done, Anne. Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday because it is all about family and food.
That turkey platter is gorgeous.
Thank you for including my Native American Winnowing Basket. And thanks to the Native Americans for our first Thanksgiving.

Anonymous said...

These are beautiful finds for one of my favorite seasons! Lovely, Anne!
AntiqueShopGirl

AnnMarie aka Vintage Junkie aka NaNa said...

Wonderful Fall finds! thanks for the recipe too!

Araignee said...

I've been banging around in the kitchen myself lately so it must be fall!
Now I want some stuffing.....