Friday, May 23, 2014

Planters & Paleo

My little succulents that I planted  almost a year ago are still thriving.

 
I love my vintage snail planter.
Finding vintage planters has become a passion for me. I am always on the lookout for them and love featuring them in my Etsy shop WeelambieVintage.

Cottage Country Planter White Roses
I also found some pretty vintage wire baskets that look great with plants in them.
Chippy White Fleur De Lis

French Provencal 

My Whole30 update ~
Paleo is starting to roll off my tongue like it is a normal word for me to be saying and not some crazy fad diet.  I still haven't gotten very adventurous in the cooking department. I have found that while I am on my Whole30 it is better to keep things simple.  If I start experimenting I might find myself eating a whole bagful of trouble.  There are wonderful recipes out there Nom Nom Paleo is a perfect example of eating extraordinary food. 
My go to easy does it favorites~
Veggies~ spinach, baby greens, radishes, sweet potatoes, peppers, eggplant, olives and zucchini.  
Proteins~ chicken, pork loin, steak, salmon, cod fish, scallops, shrimp, eggs
Fats~ EVOO, Coconut oil, avocado 
Fruits~ bananas, oranges sweet section by section a treat, Georgia peaches, berries.
Other things I love but have in moderation~ cashews, raw almonds, flaked coconut, once in a while a date or two for my sweet tooth. I have to buy dates just 4 at a time out of the bin at the health food store. They are that yummy. Food without breaks for me.
I drink water by the gallon all day long and black coffee in the mornings.
My breakfasts are usually steamed spinach and eggs. Lunches are baby greens and I cook enough chicken on Sundays to shred some to take in a packet to work for my salad.  I also put other left over meats on my salads. Salmon or pork loin are favorites. I make my own dressing with EVOO, lemon juice or cider vinegar, sea salt, pepper and some dried mustard . I have a bottle of it at work and one on my kitchen counter at home. I pack my Monkey Salad and have that at work either mid morning or mid afternoon if I am hungry.
Dinners are easy throw together meals. I roast sweet potatoes on the weekends so I can heat them up on weeknights.  I have salad a grilled meat and what ever veggies I have ready to cook or left overs.  On Sundays when I am cooking all that chicken I also roast a big pan of veggies drizzled with EVOO, salt and pepper and roast the sweet potatoes.  Thus all these ingredients are ready to divvy out during the week at lunches and dinners.  I am telling you I don't miss my old Lean Cuisines at work one stinking bit.  This is more work but so worth it and makes the weekdays easier.  
These radishes are the bomb-diggity!
Colander is here
 I have not been having cravings!  Having sugar and grains out of my system has gotten me off the merry-go-round of eating  and then being a starving hungry run to the kitchen shove it in my face lunatic binge eater.

a simple Whole30 meal. 

That has been my week. Vintage planters, Whole30 challenge, meal planning and of course a little knitting.


I tried on several blue nail polishes at Big Lots today while I was picking up that swimming pool.  Here I am knitting and waiting for it to fill. Tomorrow the grands will be playing in it.  
Thanks to everyone for your kind comments and cheering me on during my Whole30!
~ Anne





5 comments:

Gail P. said...

So glad that you are enjoying the paleo thing. You do the same thing that I do; cook a whole chicken to eat during the week. I also add thighs and then when it's cooked I take the meat off the bone and cook the bones in a couple cups of water for bone broth. I use my pressure cooker so the chicken cooks for about 20-25 minutes and then I do the bones for another couple of hours. The bones should be soft enough to crumble. I strain and put the broth in the fridge and drink it during the week. It gels up and sometimes I just eat it cold, but I love chicken hot or cold. I don't like it reheated. Have you lost weight yet?

Unknown said...

Hi Gail, I am scared of pressure cookers! That chicken was dry so I switched to cooking thighs.
I haven't weighed myself. My clothes are not as tight though and I can reach my feet. lol

Araignee said...

Reading about your diet has made me hungry! I could use a grilled veggie right about now.
Love those planters. I am ashamed to say that I have not yet planted a single thing. This spring has been so weird. I can't believe it's Memorial Day weekend already. I'm still wearing flannel pajamas!

AnnMarie aka Vintage Junkie aka NaNa said...

Great to hear you are sticking with the diet. It sounds too hard for me! I can't give up the sweets! Love your vintage planters...I picked up a McCoy dutch shoe planter yesterday at a garage sale...so excited! Blue nails are so summery!

Daph said...

You are amazing Anne. I wish I had your energy and organization. Keep up the good work.