Monday, June 9, 2014

Making Mayo in My Vintage Kitchen

I did it I made my very own mayonnaise for my Whole30 Paleo diet.
It was easy.  So Easy!
You just need a couple of things.
A pretty apron of course!
The Cottage Workroom Barkcloth Apron

 First the recipe.

Simple Whole30 Compliant Mayo

1 1/4 Cups Extra Light olive oil (you don't want a strong tasting oil)
1 egg
1/2 tsp salt 
1/2 tsp Colman's Mustard powder
2 Tbsp fresh squeezed lemon juice




 A blender or food processor. 


Oceanside Castle  Vintage Waring Blender


STEPS:
1. Plan ahead everything NEEDS to be room temperature so leave an egg out overnight.
2. In the blender whiz together the egg, 1/4 Cup of the olive oil, the salt, mustard powder and lemon juice until it is all mixed up.
3. Add the 1 Cup of Olive Oil. Slowly and I mean as slow as Molasses in January drizzle a very tiny stream of Olive oil into the mixture while the blender is whizzing away. This is a very important step and cannot be rushed if you want a nice thick mayo. It will take several minutes to trickle all the oil in.  
4. It will become thick as the last of the oil is going in. You can stop mixing when all the oil is in and it has thickened up.

Pour a very tiny drizzle of oil into the blender and really take your time with this step. I made mine in a shake blender.


So thick and creamy. I was AMAZED !
Store your mayo in the fridge in a glass jar. 


Vintageer  1930's Ball Mason Jar
Why make your own Mayo? Make it because it is so fresh, delicious, full of a healthy oil, a fresh egg and has no sugar, no starch, no artificial anythings to mess up your Whole30. It is next to impossible to find this even in the best health food store. The cost is much less too. Plus you get to dance around your own kitchen shouting I did it, I made it, It's Amazing!

Since you're being all healthy and caring about what you eat, how it's processed and where it came from I thought you'd love to shop some of my favorite Etsy shops for vintage kitchen ware. Enjoy!
~ Anne

7 comments:

dianne said...

good girl.. there's no stopping you. that apron is adorable. ;)

Unknown said...

Great post!
I love the dancing and celebration the best.

Araignee said...

Mmmmm.....I love mayonnaise. I put it on everything but my favorite is on top of some orange jello. Not very paleo but very vintage early 60's straight from my Grandma's kitchen.

OceansideCastleVintage said...

Wee Lambie,

You are not only a successful vintage shop owner, amazing fur Momma, exceptional human being, but an accomplished chef too! You inspire me! So pleased that my vintage Waring Blender came in handy while making your mayo. Best of luck on your healthy lifestyle!

Laura
OceansideCastle.etsy.com

Wanderingcatstudio said...

I don't actually like mayo - but that is awesome!

Unknown said...

Wow! Maybe I will give it a try! you keep making me think I can do this, darn it! I may just have to try it soon!

Unknown said...

thanks all
I remember a '60's salad that was canned pear half jello and mayo.
lol. It was good too.

Judy ...yes you sure can.