Monday, June 10, 2013

Mama's Blueberry Cake.

My mother's ancient wooden recipe file is so stuffed with recipes and her handwriting just tears at my heart when I see it.
I went searching through it tonight because I had a sink full of these.
Beautiful big plump blueberries.
I wanted to make Mama's Blueberry cake.
I don't know how I am going to get all the cards back down inside the box. The penciled writing was so faded that I had to find a pencil and go over it.  I couldn't read if it was 3/8 C milk or 3/4 C.  I used 3/8 C although that seemed a funny amount.  Mom's recipes are like that.

The batter was really thick, but somewhat like I remembered.
I think I got it right.  There is another recipe somewhere and on the top of the recipe card it says "Mama's Blueberry Cake".  This was not that card.  I think it was basically the same. If you want to try it and take your chances with the milk here it is.
~ Mama's Blueberry Cake ~
1/2 C margarine            
1 C sugar
1 1/2 C flour
2 eggs
3/8 C milk (best guess)
1 tsp baking powder
pinch salt
1 tsp vanilla
1 C or more blueberries ( I used the whole pint)
Cream marg. and sugar add eggs and blend, add vanilla and milk, stir in all dry ingredients. Fold in blueberries.
Bake 350 deg. 45 min
8 x 8" greased pan.
We always served it with a pat of butter melted on the top.
~Anne~

6 comments:

AnnMarie aka Vintage Junkie aka NaNa said...

How wonderful to have your Mama's recipes to recreate and bring back happy memories. I have some of my Nanny's recipes but not written by her. What a keepsake! Can't wait for fresh blueberry picking time to try this cake. Looks luscious!

Anonymous said...

Looks delicious, Ann! Will have to try it & I will certainly think of your Mama!

kathy b said...

MMMMM looks delicous. What a lovely tribute

Araignee said...

I have my mother's recipes also and I feel the same way when I go through the box. It breaks my heart.

That cake looks yummy and I have 2 pints of blueberries in the fridge. I may have to give it a try.

The Inspired Trader said...

I'll be trying this soon! Yum!

Unknown said...

Oh Anne....this is wonderful in so many ways :)