Monday, November 7, 2011

Giraffe Part 4

To say you whip stitch the pieces together just doesn't begin to cover how to bring Mr Giraffe alive.  Susan B. Anderson's pattern from her book Itty Bitty Toys is very clear and well written and the results when followed are astoundingly fun and fruitful.   
That said ~whip stitching~ needs a little more description.  Sure everyone knows the basic whip stitch...but this is an animal!
whip stitching 
I did whip stitch all the many pieces together. The four legs, two horns, tail, ears, spots and mane  were all brought together via whip stitch.  
The head was attached with whip stitch.  Mr Giraffe was able to sit up upon his new limbs and he chose the keyboard of my lap top for his very first perch. He must have heard how much I spent this week for technical support fixing the darn thing.
his spots and tail 
Eight funky spots where carefully placed and whip stitched to his back following the instructions which said basically "look at the picture" and get busy.  His little horns and tail are on as well as a couple of the  many pom-poms.  All of this brings me back to basic whip stitch and what I like to call....


plastic surgery
doing plastic surgery.  I got out more sunflower yarn and went over all my attachments with carefully placed 'sutures' after all I don't want scars, loose limbs or dangling horns and tails.  Around and around I went with the care of a neuro surgeon grafting nerve endings.  Nothing is coming loose on this dear Giraffe. Nothing will show a scar.  He is now fully sewn and resting in recovery.  Tomorrow will be the big day, out door photo shoot and presentation to his new owner.  
He still needs a handsome name... I am thinking William or possibly Harrison. 
A good night's sleep in the infirmary will make the hard day of surgery fade quickly into the past. Sweet dreams Mr. Giraffe tomorrow is your big day.

1 comment:

Eniko said...

I like the name Harrison for your adorable Giraffe! What a great job you did!